Health services

Two students sitting outside the Trent Building, University Park Campus

Your general health 

Whilst at University you need to take responsibility for your health, this means getting the right balance between lifestyle, work and study. Both the University and local health services offer a wide range of support services that are available to you during your time here.


University services

Students in the reception of Cripps Health Centre
The University of Nottingham Health Service (UNHS) is conveniently situated in Cripps Health Centre on University Park Campus.
The practice specialises in looking after students and staff of The University of Nottingham and their families.


NHS logo
Feeling unwell? Get the right care, first time.  Take a look at the latest NHS leaflet with NHS contact details, and information on how to access the right services for your needs. Download the NHS 'get the right care, first time' campaign leaflet. 
Visit NHS Direct to check your symptoms online, and for information and reassurance.

Register with a GP

Register with a GP
Register with a doctor as soon as possible after you arrive at University. You can register for the University's Health Service, Cripps Health Centre on University Park Campus if you live within the catchment area. If you live outside these areas, which includes the majority of Sutton Bonington students, then visit the NHS Choices website to find your local Health Centre. 


NHS for International students

In the UK you need to register with an NHS doctor. It is important to do this on arriving at university, failure to do so can occasionally result in difficulty accessing free healthcare.
Doctors usually work together in health clinics also known as health centres or general practices (GPs). Visit the UNHS website for further information on how to register.


We strongly recommend that you are up to date with all vaccinations before coming to university. Some illnesses that spread quickly amongst large groups of people can be easily prevented by vaccinations given routinely to children and young adults. For UK residents, the vaccinations include: 

  • two doses of the MMR vaccine
  • meningitis C vaccine
  • School leaving booster course
  • HPV vaccine (female only)

If you are unsure of whether you have had these vaccinations then you should ask your doctor. All of these vaccines are available at the University Health Centre.


Your Students' Union support

The Students' Union offer support through the services they offer, and through various campaigns that they run every year. Some of the support services are listed below:

  • The Student Advice Centre offers support on anything from academic issues to welfare matters or money problems. Email student-advice-centre@nottingham.ac.uk
  • Nightline - an anonymous listening and information service, available 7pm - 8am every night during term time to listen to you if you need someone to talk to. Call +44 (0)115 951 4985 or email anonymously (the receiver won't be able to see your email address) nightlineanon@sumail.nottingham.ac.uk
  • B-eat a student-run self help group for people with eating disorders. It is confidential and offers a safe space where you can talk about your experiences. Email the team at subeat@nottingham.ac.uk
  • If you need a friendly face to talk to then you Junior Common Room Welfare Reps will be happy to help.



Useful links



The University of Nottingham

University Park
Nottingham, NG7 2RD

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5151
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 3666
email: studentcommsoffice@nottingham.ac.uk