Chris qualified from Bristol Vet School in 2002, and spent just under two years working in a large mixed practice in East Devon before returning to Bristol to undertake a Clinical Training Scholarship (residency) programme in farm animal health and production. This involved undertaking clinical work in the University Farm Animal Practice, usually accompanied by students, along with some small and large group teaching. Chris subsequently became a Clinical Fellow at Bristol, responsible for management of the Farm Animal Practice and delivery of lecture courses in bovine lameness and nutrition, gaining an award for outstanding achievement in clinical teaching in the process. He moved to the University of Nottingham in 2009, where 25% of his time is spent teaching dairy herd health, with the remaining 75% devoted to a PhD degree. Chris holds the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons Certificate and Diploma in Cattle Health and Production.
PhD (completion due August 2013)
School Research Theme:
Population Health and Welfare
Influences on dairy cow fertility
Summary of Research:
Cow fertility is an important determinant of profitability in a dairy herd, so improving fertility performance is critical to the sustainability of both individual dairy herds and the national industry as a whole. It is well understood that bovine fertility is multifactorial, so this research aims to use sophisticated mathematical techniques to improve understanding of the factors affecting fertility, interactions between them and the uncertainty surrounding their effects. Along the way, this has resulted in the first large-scale analysis of trends in UK dairy cow fertility for over 15 years. On-going work focuses on the interactions between udder health and reproductive performance at cow level, and the use of probabilistic sensitivity analysis to predict the impacts of herd-level interventions.
Prof. Martin Green and Dr. Andrew Bradley
Primary Funding Source:
• HUDSON, C.D., BREEN, J.E., BRADLEY, A.J. and GREEN, M.J., 2010. Fertility in UK dairy herds: Preliminary findings of a large-scale study. Cattle Practice, 18(2), 89-94.
• HUXLEY JN, SC ARCHER, AM BIGGS, AJ BRADLEY, JE BREEN, MJ GREEN, HM HIGGINS, CD HUDSON, JA HUSBAND, W MAY, JD READER, JME STATHAM, MH THORNE, W WAPENAAR, 2010. An Expert Review of the Diagnosis, Prognosis and Treatment of Recumbency in Adult Cattle. Cattle Practice, 18(1), 53-60.
• BRADLEY, A.J., BREEN, J.E., HUDSON, C.D. and GREEN, M.J., 2009. The DairyCo Mastitis Control Plan: Progress with implementing a national mastitis control scheme. Cattle Practice, 17(3), 184-189.
• BREEN, J.E., HUDSON, C.D., BRADLEY, A.J. and GREEN, M.J., 2009. Monitoring dairy herd fertility performance in the modern production animal practice. Cattle Practice, 17(3), 196-201.
• HUDSON, C.D., 2009. Herd health and production monitoring in UK dairy herds. Reproduction in Domestic Animals,44, 65.
• HUDSON, C.D., PAYNE, B., GREEN, M.J., BREEN, J.E., COGAN, T. and BRADLEY, A.J., 2009. Critical interpretation of laboratory results: Preliminary results of an investigation into the characteristics of tests used to identify Staphylococcus aureus in bovine milk samples. Cattle Practice, 17(3), 190-195.
• INMAN, C.F. and HUDSON, C.D., 2009. Cattle immunology: The immune response to viruses. UK Vet. Livestock,14(1).
• INMAN, C.F. and HUDSON, C.D., 2009. Cattle immunology: The immune response to parasites. UK Vet. Livestock,14(3).
• INMAN, C.F. and HUDSON, C.D., 2009. Cattle immunology: Vaccination and immunological testing. UK Vet. Livestock, 14(4).
• BRADLEY, A.J., HUDSON, C.D, GREEN, M.J. and BREEN, J.E., 2008. Dairy herd health and production monitoring: Optimising data use and understanding the pitfalls. Cattle Practice, 14, 38-44.
• HUDSON, C., WHAY, H. R. and HUXLEY, J. N., 2008. Recognition and management of pain in cattle. In Practice,30(3), 126-134.
• HUDSON, C.D., 2008. An outbreak of Johne's disease in a diary herd. UK Vet. Livestock, 13(1).
• INMAN, C.F. and HUDSON, C.D., 2008. Cattle immunology: The immune response to bacteria. UK Vet. Livestock,13(6).
• WHAY, H.R., HUDSON, C.D. and HUXLEY, J.N., 2008. Where are we with pain recognition and management in cattle?. In: American Association of Bovine Practitioners. pp. 54-59
• HUXLEY, J.N. and HUDSON, C., 2007. Should we control the pain of mastitis?. International Dairy Topics, 6(5), 17-18.
• HUDSON, C D, HIGGINS, H M and HUXLEY, J N, 2006. Ocular complications of barren brome exposure in a suckler herd. Veterinary Record, 159(12), 388-9.
• HUDSON, C. and HUXLEY, J.N., 2005. Using Interherd to assess fertility in dairy herds. Veterinary Times, 35(40),16-19.