Top frequently asked questions


Please select a category to view the FAQs which might help you. We also have a glossary of terms which you may find helpful.

If you still can't find what you are looking for:

Complete an Enquiry Form

Telephone us on +44 (0)115 95 15559

Missing an FAQ? Email us your suggestions

Students studying

General FAQs

What is the ranking of The University of Nottingham? 

For information on our UK and international rankings visit the following web pages.

What are the term dates and other key University dates? 

To view the dates of terms and semesters for the academic year, and other key dates, please visit our key university dates webpages. 

What courses do you offer? 

Undergraduate degrees

Our bachelor degree programmes are listed in the A-Z course index of our online undergraduate prospectus.

You can also order a print copy of our undergraduate prospectus by filling in our enquiry form.

Postgraduate degrees 

We offer a full range of taught and research degrees at postgraduate level, all of which place emphasis on equipping postgraduates with specific analytical and research skills. This training enables our postgraduates to make a real contribution to their field of research, enjoying the benefits of working with, and learning from, internationally recognised research specialists.

Information about our postgraduate courses is available in our online Postgraduate Prospectus

Please note that most taught masters courses start in September of each year and that we do not usually offer January/February start dates. 

You can also order a print copy of our postgraduate prospectus by filling in our enquiry form.

Foundation programmes

The University of Nottingham offers one-year foundation programmes in a variety of subject areas. 

These courses are aimed at those students who do not have the required qualifications to gain direct entrance to bachelor degree programmes.

What are the entry requirements for your courses? 

For course entry requirements please see the online Undergraduate Prospectus or the online Postgraduate Prospectus

What can I do after I have graduated? 

Please see our Careers and Employability Service web pages for advice on looking for jobs and careers after University. 

Can I visit the University?

The best time to visit the University is during one of our open days, mini open days or other official events. Details of our events for prospective undergraduate students are here.

We do not run general postgraduate open days however certain departments may run their own specific events. Please contact the departments directly for details.

You can also visit us online at our Virtual open day or watch one of our YouTube videos about the University.

If you are unable to make one of our organised events, please feel free to come and conduct a self-guided tour around the campuses at any time. A Self-guided campus tour brochure will help you find your way around campus. If you would like to visit a specific department and their facilities, please contact them in advance to arrange a meeting. Please note that this is not always possible. 

How can I order a prospectus? 

The University of Nottingham’s undergraduate and postgraduate prospectuses can be ordered online by filling out our enquiry form.

If you would like the prospectus in an alternative format, such as audio, Braille or large print, please contact us:

telephone: +44 (0)115 951 4591

How do I get to the University? 
Maps and directions to the University are available on our website.
Does the University have accommodation on campus? 
Yes, the University has a variety of accommodation. Information can be located on our Accommodation website
What English language qualifications do I need? 
The main qualification that the University look for from non-English speaking applications is IELTS. However other qualifications may be accepted. Each academic school/department within the University sets individual English requirements. Please contact the school/department that you are interested in applying to for details.
Where can I find help for international students? Is there a section for my nationality?

Information for international students can be found via our International Office website.

The International Office has a your country section, where you can find information specifically for your nationality.

Can I park my car on campus?

Students who live in Halls of Residence or have a term time address within a radius of 15 miles of University Park or Jubilee Campus will not be eligible for a permit. 

All students at Sutton Bonington Campus will be eligible for a permit for parking on that campus only. Concessionary permits are subject to strict criteria, please refer to our traffic regulations

Does the University have any sports facilities?

The University has great sporting facilities on its campuses, including gyms, tennis courts, football pitches, a swimming pool and more. Our new state of the art David Ross Sports Village is now open.

For further information please visit the Department of Sport website. There are also plenty of sports clubs to get involved with.


What support do you offer for students with a disability or dyslexia? 

The University is committed to promoting access for students who have a disability, dyslexia or a long-term medical condition. Services provided by the University aim to enable students to fulfil the inherent requirements of the course as independently as possible. The University’s Disability Statement, which lists services, facilities and opportunities available throughout the University can be viewed at


What help can I get if I have difficulty with the work once I start my course?

The University has an excellent range of support services which cover areas including health, welfare and study support. For personal problems which may affect your work, you can always talk in complete confidence to your personal tutor or any member of staff with whom you feel comfortable. Tutors can help with a wide range of issues, and if they are unable to help with a particular problem, they will find you someone who can.


What are the likely costs of living for a student at Nottingham?

The costs that you will incur as a Nottingham student will depend in part on the type of accommodation that you select plus the costs associated with your personal lifestyle, such as sporting, leisure and social activities. You should also budget for food and any other lifestyle costs. The University has an online budget planner that you can use to help you manage your money.


Undergraduate FAQs

How do I apply for an undergraduate course? 
For undergraduate degree programmes an application must be made online through UCAS. Full details about the application process can be found in the online Undergraduate Prospectus.
Does the University accept alternative qualifications to A levels for undergraduate degree courses? 

The University accepts a range of alternative qualifications in addition to standard A levels. If you require further guidance, please contact the academic school that you are interested in. Their admissions staff will be happy to assist you. Contact details can be located through our online Undergraduate Prospectus

Where can I find information about bursaries and financial support?
Information about funding for our undergraduate degree courses can be located on our Financial Support Team's website.

I want to apply to start university in the year before the course information that is currently being displayed on the online prospectus. How do I do that?

If you would like to apply for a place in the year before the course information that is currently being displayed on the online prospectus, that may be possible depending on course start dates and the availability of course places. Please contact the Student Recruitment Enquiries Centre for further information, either through our enquiry form, or by ringing +44 (0)115 951 5559.


What if my current or predicted grades do not meet your entry requirements?

Some subject areas have Foundation Year programmes which will help bring you up to the required level to join an undergraduate degree programme.

Postgraduate FAQs

How can I apply for a postgraduate course? 

Postgraduate applications for The University of Nottingham should be made through our online application system

If you are applying for a research opportunity, you may also need to submit a research proposal. Find out more about how to write a research proposal and speak to your chosen school/department for guidance. 

Find out more on our how to apply section.

When do I apply for a postgraduate course? 

The academic year at The University of Nottingham starts in mid-September each year and most taught postgraduate courses begin at this time. Applications can be made any time in the preceding 12 months, preferably at least six months before you start your studies here. However, applications made later than that will always be considered if places remain available. It is important when you are submitting an application that you have completed all the necessary sections and enclosed all the relevant documentation to ensure that your application can be processed as quickly as possible.

Is there a deadline for postgraduate applications? 

For the majority of postgraduate courses there is no closing date for applications, but as the term starts at the end of September we recommend you apply by the end of July. There is, however, a closing date for overseas applicants of 9 August to allow for the processing of visas. We recommend applying sooner rather than later. The following courses are exceptions:

  • Doctorate in Forensic Psychology and Top-Up Doctorate in Forensic Psychology – 28 February
  • Master of Law (LLM) courses – 31 May; applications that arrive after this date will not be eligible for funding
  • Master of Business – last working day of July or before (dependent on availability of places)

For some courses the applications have to be made by UCAS with a closing date of 15 January, for example:

  • Graduate Entry Nursing – Adult
  • Graduate Entry Nursing – Mental Health
  • Masters in Social Work

However, if you want to apply for funding you have to do this by February or March, after you have been offered a place at the University of Nottingham.

Where do I send my supporting documents? 

Supporting documents can be uploaded onto our online application system. Please note that if an offer of a place is made, this may be conditional upon receipt of originals or certified copies.

What funding is available to postgraduate students? 

Funding for postgraduate students can come from many sources, including scholarships, research councils and charities. You can find advice and guidance on funding on our postgraduate funding pages.

How long will it take to get a decision on my postgraduate application? 

If you have applied for a taught masters course, we aim to have a decision to you within six to eight weeks provided you have sent all your supporting documents. If you have applied online you will receive an email message once the status of your application has changed.

If your application was for a research degree (MPhil or PhD), the decision-making process can take several weeks to be processed as your application may need to be passed to several members of academic staff in order to find a suitable supervisor.

What grades do I need to gain entry onto a masters programme? 

Applicants should hold a good first degree with at least a second-class honours or an equivalent qualification. However we will be taking all aspects of your application into consideration including academic background, work history and references. Requirements for individual programmes of study may vary. You can find entry requirements on the course pages of the postgraduate online prospectus

What is the difference between taught courses and research courses?  

Taught courses can provide anything from vocational training to preparation for further research. They are generally delivered by a lecturer in a lecture theatre or seminar room. They are commonly around one year in length for full-time study and course content is modular. 

Research degrees are generally research-led and involve a large amount of independent reading or lab and field work. Research degrees tend to be longer in duration as students gain a greater understanding of their chosen area. A common destination for research students is to enter academia. 

What accommodation is offered to postgraduate students?

We have six accommodation sites that are well-placed for easy access to all our UK campuses, as well as local amenities and the city centre. You are guaranteed a room in self-catered University-arranged accommodation for one year if you meet our accommodation guarantee criteria. Alternatively you may prefer to live in privately rented accommodation. If you have a disability and need accessible accommodation, you will be guaranteed a suitable room in University-arranged accommodation for the duration of your studies, if you meet our accommodation guarantee criteria.

Find out more about our accommodation options.

When can I start a PhD?

Entry to most postgraduate programmes is available on five dates throughout the year:

  • 1 October
  • 1 December
  • 1 February
  • 1 April
  • 1 July

However, we recommend that you check the online prospectus for details of specific course start dates, or contact your school or department for details.

Are postgraduates generally more employable? What is the average starting salary of a Nottingham postgraduate?

Over 94% of our postgraduates who were available for work were in employment or further study within 6 months of graduating.*

The average starting salary for Nottingham taught masters students is £23,082 with the highest being £48,000. The average starting salary for a Nottingham PhD graduate is £32,419 – a 43% increase on the average salary for first degree graduates.*

* Known destinations of full-time home and EU postgraduates, 2013/14. 


The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus FAQs

What courses are offered at The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (UNMC)?

We offer a range of foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Course details and entry requirements can be found in the UNMC online prospectus .

What are the tuition fees and are there any scholarships?

Please refer to the list of tuition fees on the UNMC website.

We offer a range of scholarship opportunities for both home (Malaysian) and international students.

How can I apply?
Applications are made on the UNMC site directly to the University. The intake dates and application deadlines can be found on the UNMC's 'When to Apply' page.
What is the accommodation like at UNMC?
We offer a variety accommodation at UNMC to suit different budgets on campus as well as off campus. Please refer to the UNMC site's list of common questions for useful information, including how to apply for accommodation.

The University of Nottingham China Campus FAQs

What courses are offered at The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC)?
We offer a range of foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Please visit the UNNC prospectus for course details and entry requirements for InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students.
What are the tuition fees and are there any scholarships?

Please refer to the list of tuition fees on the UNNC website for InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students.

There are undergraduate and postgraduate scholarship opportunities, and you can find out about eligibility and how to apply by clicking on your student category and level of study in the UNNC's online prospectus.

How can I apply?

To apply for a course at UNNC you need to download an application form, fill it in and return it to the Recruitment & Admissions Office by email or post.

You can find the correct form for your nationality along with the relevant deadline via the Study With Us section of the UNNC website.

What is the accommodation like at UNNC?

There is a range of on-campus accommodation which is fully furnished and equipped, close to the teaching buildings and with either individual or shared facilities. More details and fees can be found on the Accommodation pages of the InternationalHong Kong, Macau and Taiwan or Domestic (China) students’ web pages.

It is also possible to live off-campus.



Links to further FAQs



Student Recruitment Enquiry Centre

The University of Nottingham
King's Meadow Campus
Lenton Lane
Nottingham, NG7 2NR

t: +44 (0) 115 951 5559
f: +44 (0) 115 846 8062
w: Frequently asked questions
Make an enquiry