Overseas examinations arrangements
Overseas exam arrangements are only made for students:
- who are normally resident overseas and have external resits;
- have been given permission by the International Office under mobility arrangements;
- have to be overseas during the exam period as a requirement of their course; or
- other exceptional circumstances approved on an individual case basis.
- whose modules are allowed to be taken overseas
In cases where the candidate is not an overseas resident, arrangements will not be made unless the circumstances and reasons have been discussed with the International Office and/or School/Department.
YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE FOR EACH EXAM PERIOD IF YOU WILL BE WANTING TO SIT OVERSEAS ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION. COMPLETING THE APPLICATION FORM ONLY ENTITLES YOU TO APPLY FOR NEXT SCHEDULED EXAM PERIOD.
Please note: overseas exam arrangements will not be made for students who are on holiday or temporarily overseas during the published examination periods. The dates of the exam sessions for this academic year are published on the Examinations webpages
Undergraduate No Award students (Exchange or Study Abroad Programme) - can I take my examinations overseas?
Incoming exchange students studying in Nottingham for the Autumn Semester are expected to sit the normal assessment relating to the modules to which they are signed up for. In exceptional circumstances exchange students may apply to the School/Department to arrange an alternative form of assessment. Where this is not possible the student must return to Nottingham to complete the assessment. Only where the start date of the home university semester is before the end of the Nottingham exam period may a student apply to take their examinations overseas.
Schools should not advise students that they may sit overseas at this stage – for incoming students this is only possible if the student has been given permission to sit overseas as part of an exchange agreement with his/her Home institution
How much does it cost to take examinations overseas?
- University resit fee - Undergraduate £80.00/Postgraduate £130.00 (if you are taking first sits only, this charge does not apply)
- Administrative fee - £100.00 per examination period no matter how many individual examinations are taken in that session (this charge applies to resits and first sits)
- Local charges and/or costs directly to the administering organisation making the local exam arrangements.
You can pay the overseas examination fee via the "My Finance" tab on the Portal. The invoice will show approximately two weeks before the exam period. Once the arrangements have been made by the Exams Office and the invoice is showing on your portal, you will be required to pay the full amount even if you do not continue with the overseas resit examination. Any local costs must be paid directly to your chosen institution.
What modules are not permitted to be taken overseas?
There are some examinations which you will not be given permission to take overseas. Before contacting your School or Department for permission to take an examination overseas please check if your exams can be taken overseas If there are exceptional circumstances affecting a student, these will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
If you cannot progress to the next stage of your degree or complete your award without being reassessed you will be informed via the Assessment Channel. You will receive a letter from the Student Administration Office detailing the requirements, the form of reassessment, and the costs involved.