A stipend is a tax-free form of salary, which is paid towards living expenses. A typical award would be fees plus an annual stipend (which is £13,863 in 2014/15).
Eligibility for funding
Home students and EU students who satisfy home residency criteria (See below) are eligible for a full Research Council studentship, comprising Fees and an annual maintenance stipend. Other EU students are eligible for a fees-only award.
Overseas students may also be eligible for Research Council funding, depending on the Doctoral Training Programme. Please visit the our centres page for more information.
Eligibility of EU Citizens for Full Awards
UK Research Councils and other funding bodies offer maintenance stipends to EU EU citizens, who have been resident in the UK for the purposes of work or education for the three years prior to the start date of their course.
Follow the steps below to see if you are eligible for a full studentship from the UK Research Councils Scheme:
1. I am a citizen of the European Union.
- YES: proceed to 2.
- No: you are not eligible for funding from any Home or EU Scholarship competitions
2. I will have been living and working full-time in the UK for three years prior to the start date of my course (if you start a course on 1 December, the start date for this purpose is 1 September).
- YES: you are eligible for a full studentship. You will be required to provide evidence of your residency in order to certify your application.
- NO: please proceed to 3
3. I will have been living in the UK for the main purpose of education for the three years prior to the start date of my course (e.g. pursuing an Undergraduate degree at a UK University).
- YES: You are eligible for a full studentship. You will be required to provide evidence of your residency in order to certify your application.
- NO: you are eligible for a fees-only award