Denny K. S. Ng
Associate Professor, Faculty of Engineering
Dr. Denny K. S. Ng is an Associate Professor at the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering, University of Nottingham Malaysia. He is one of the youngest Associate Professor in the university. He obtained his PhD degree from the University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus and was the first student who completed a PhD program within two years. He is currently the Manager of Professional Training at the Centre of Excellence for Green Technologies and Principle Investigator of Crops for the Future Research Centre (CFFRC). His areas of specialisation include energy management, resource conservation via process integration techniques (pinch analysis and mathematical optimisation), synthesis and analysis of biomass processing and integrated bio refineries, as well as energy planning for greenhouse gas emission reduction. Dr Ng is well-published and well-cited for his age (over 60 papers with an h-index of 18) and presented more than 70 papers in various conferences. Dr Ng is also serving as international scientific committee for several international conferences. Besides, he also serves as reviewer for more than 30 peer review journals. He establishes collaboration with well-known international researchers from the United State, the Philippines, Taiwan, etc. throughout his career. He was the recipient of World Federation of Scientists (Malaysia National Scholarship) award in 2007 and IChemE Young Chemical Engineer of the Year 2012. Apart from focusing on research and development (R&D), Dr. Ng also applied his R&D output in industrial consultation projects.
Plant Design (H82PLD)
Computer System (H82CSY)
Process Simulation 1 (H83PS1)
Process Synthesis and Design (H84PSD)
Process Design and Optimisation (H84PDO)
Design Projects (H83DPX)
Final Year R&D Projects
Process synthesis & design
Biomass processing & integrated biorefineries
Oil palm biomass planning & utilisation
Planning of carbon capture and storage
KASIVISVANATHAN, H, NG, RTL, TAY, DHS and NG, DKS, 2012. Fuzzy Optimisation for Retrofitting a Palm Oil Mill into a Sustainable Palm Oil-Based Biorefinery Chemical Engineering Journal. 200–202, 694–709
TANG, MMC, CHIN, MWS, LIM, KM, MUN, YS, NG, RTL, TAY, DHS and NG, DKS, 2013. Robust Optimization for Conceptual Design of an Integrated Biorefinery with Uncertainties Clean Technologies and Environment Policy. 15, 783–799
1. Top author for most cited papers between years 2010 - 2012 in an Elsevier journal - Computers & Chemical Engineering
- D.K.S. Ng, D.C.Y. Foo, R.R. Tan, M. El-Halwagi. Automated targeting technique for concentration- and property-based total resource conservation network, 2010, 34, 825-845.
- B. Bao, D.K.S. Ng, D.H.S. Tay, A. Jimenez-Gutierrez, M.M. El-Halwagi. A shortcut method for the preliminary synthesis of process-technology pathways: An optimization approach and application for the conceptual design of integrated biorefineries, Computer and Chemical Engineering, 2011, 35 (8), 1374-1383.
2. IChemE Young Chemical Engineer of Year 2012 Award.
3. Best paper award in UNESCO Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 25 - 29 Sept 2011.
4. Ranked 18th highest cited article in "Top 20 Most Cited IChemE Papers (2008-2010)" Elsevier (2010).
- Tan, R. R., Ng, D. K. S., Foo, D. C. Y., Aviso, K. B. A Superstructure Model for the Synthesis of Single-Contaminant Water Networks with Partitioning Regenerators. Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 2009, 87(3), 197-205.
5. Ranked 3rd highest cited article in "Top-75 most cited articles" as published in the IChemE journals 2006 - 2009, Elsevier (2009).
- Ng, D. K. S., Foo, D. C. Y., Tan, Y. L. and Tan, R. R. Ultimate Flowrate Targeting With Regeneration Placement, Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 2007, 85 (A9): 1253-1267.
6. WaterInno Awards 2009, Water Malaysia 2009, "A Novel Process Integration Technique for Maximising Water Recovery in the Process Plant", Putra World Trade Centre, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 19 - 21 April 2009 (Silver).
7. Awarded First Class Excellent Award of Yayasan Negeri Sembilan, 2009.
8. Awarded World Federation of Scientists (Malaysia National Scholarship), 2007.
9. Awarded First Class Honour of Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, 2006.