Terms of Reference
- To review and develop the University's Research Strategy, in accordance with the University Plan, for approval by Senate.
- To advise University Executive Board on the allocation of resources to deliver the aims and objectives articulated with respect to the University's Strategic Plan.
- To allocate resources on behalf of University Executive Board in support of (1).
- To develop, monitor and review the University's strategic plans for postgraduate research.
- To identify and set grand challenges in relation to key elements of the strategy.
- To monitor the implementation of the strategy and to evaluate its impact
- To monitor internal and external developments and trends, and take account of them in the development of strategy and policies.
- To agree University responses to relevant consultation processes from external bodies.
- To oversee the development of policies necessary for the responsible conduct of research and to monitor their implementation.
- To make regular reports to Senate on its activities and plans.
Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Research and Knowledge Exchange (Chair): Professor Dame Jessica Corner
APVC for Innovation, Impact and Business Engagement: Professor Herve Morvan
APVC for Graduate School and Research Career Development: Professor Ed Wilding
APVC for Research Strategy and Performance: Dr Richard Masterman
Vice-Provost (Research and Knowledge Transfer), UNNC: Professor Chris Gerada
Vice-Provost (Research and Knowledge Transfer), UNMC: Professor Claire O'Malley
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Engineering: Professor Sarah Sharples
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Arts: Professor Maiken Umbach
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Science: Professor Zoe Wilson
Faculty APVC for Research and Knowledge Transfer, Social Sciences: Professor Andrew Leyshon
Director of Research, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences: Professor Jonathan Ball
Director of Research, Enterprise and Graduate Services: Dr George Baxter
Deputy Chief Information Officer: Alison Clarke
Director of Research and Learning Resources: Caroline Williams
Postgraduate Students' Officer: Matt Bramley
Cultures and Communications Global Research Theme: Professor Svenja Adolphs
Health and Wellbeing Global Research Theme: Professor Vicky Chapman
Sustainable Societies Global Research Theme: Professor Georgina Endfield
Transformative Technologies Global Research Theme: Professor Neil Champness
Digital Futures Global Research Theme: Professor Steve Benford
Professor Richard Bowtell (Physics and Astronomy)
Professor Sam Kingman (Engineering)
Professor Marion Walker (Medicine)
Dr Liz French (REGS)
(membership updated November 2016)
Return to Committees list