Senate Disciplinary Committee
Terms of Reference
- The Senate will appoint a Senate Disciplinary Committee to deal with alleged disciplinary offences referred to it by the University Assessor
The Senate Disciplinary Committee will consist of:
- A senior member of the University appointed by the Senate for a three-year period as Chair of the Senate Disciplinary Committee: Professor Jonathan Hirst (2018)
- A senior member of the University appointed by the Senate for a three-year period as Deputy Chair of the Senate Disciplinary Committee: Dr Steve Greedy (2018)
- One member of the academic staff chosen from a panel appointed by the Senate. In the case of matters arising in a Hall of Residence or other University residence one of the members of staff shall if possible be a Warden of a Hall other than that where the incident occurred.
The staff panel from which members of the Senate Disciplinary Committee will be chosen will consist of:
- The Faculty Pro-Vice-Chancellors;
- A Professor of Law,and two Wardens of Halls, appointed by the Senate for three-year periods;
- One member of academic staff from each Faculty appointed by the Senate for three-year periods;
- At least one Dignity Adviser.
- One full-time registered student chosen from a panel of twelve nominated by the Union of Students, except that there will be no student member if the accused student so requests. Should this be the case, a member of academic staff chosen from the panel appointed by the Senate will be appointed.
In the case of matters brought under paragraph 8.4(8) of the Code of Discipline for Students one of the members of the panel should if possible be a trained dignity adviser.
The quorum in all cases will be three and a decision to convict may be made by a majority of the Committee.
The Registrar will appoint a member of his/her staff to act as Secretary to the Committee.
Secretary: Chris Baxter/Tracey Greenwood
Return to Committees list