Space Management Committee
Terms of Reference
A committee set up to take overall responsibility within the University for ensuring that the Space Management Strategy is executed effectively by optimising the use and utilisation of University space and obtaining value for money from space enhancement.
- To authorise the allocation of space in University owned and leased premises on the UK campuses and to ensure that members are briefed about space allocation on international campuses.
- To provide a framework to solicit, receive and evaluate submissions for financial contributions to space/premises projects with a minimum value of £20,000.
- To ensure that the allocation of funding is transparent, consistent, fair and free from bias.
- To support the strategic direction, principles and priorities set by Space Strategy Board (SSB) and, using the framework, to authorise funding greater than £20,000 and less than £100,000 (normally with matched funding) in line with S2020 and SSB directives.
- To delegate authority for minor allocations of vacant space and the expenditure of funds up to £20,000 per project to the Space Resource Manager to facilitate works associated with decisions of SMC. To ensure that such allocation of funding is transparent, consistent, fair and free from bias, requests which involve the redistribution of allocated space will always be considered at SMC.
- To receive advance notice from Schools and Departments (sponsored by Dean, Director of Service or member of SMC) regarding their aspiration for future space allocation to be delivered as a single project or a phased programme within the funding remit of the Committee. To engage in discussions with the Sponsor on these matters.
- To provide, maintain and enhance a pool of centrally timetabled rooms and centrally managed AVC equipment.
- To ensure that the structure, workings, decisions and results of the SMC are transparent and widely disseminated in a way that is accessible to all university staff.
- To provide an annual report to UEB.
Chair (appointed by SSB): Professor Michele Clarke - School of Geography (2014-17)
Estate Office Development Director: Stan Clarke (2017)
Director of Financial Management: Ryan Keyworth (2017)
* Five members of School staff (drawn from across the UK campuses):
Professor Malcolm Cobb - School of Veterinary Medicine and Science (2016)
Dr Derek Chambers - School of Health Sciences (2017)
Professor Terry Moore - Faculty of Engineering (2017)
Dr Andrew Fisher - School of Humanities (2015)
A Director of Administration: Jane Watson - Social Sciences (2017)
Two representatives from Professional Services:
Ms Alison Clarke - Information Services (2017)
Mrs Clare Gough - Registrar's Department (2015)
* One representative from Research Board: Professor Uwe Aickelin - School of Computer Science (2015)
Activities Officer for the Students' Union:
Secretary: Estate Office Space Resource Manager
* Appointments are initially for three years with the option to continue for a further three years by agreement.
(..) identifies end of term.
Return to Committees list
(membership updated January 2015)