International students


Funding requirements

In order to successfully apply for a student visa/entry clearance you must be able to show that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees and living expenses in the UK for up to one year. 

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) has strict requirements about the amount of money needed and the evidence that will be accepted. The primary reason for visa refusals is incorrect evidence of funds required. Please read the UKVI information carefully to ensure you meet these requirements.

Living expenses

UK Visas and Immigration require evidence that international students will be able to afford to support themselves while studying in the UK. They have calculated that a student studying outside of London requires a minimum of £820 per month in to cover most expenses including:

  • accommodation*
  • food
  • bills
  • books
  • entertainment
  • local travel

Please see our financial advice pages for further information on the cost of living in the UK.

Please see our information on Applying for your student visa from overseas for more information on the amount of funds required for your visa application and the way that you must prepare to evidence your finances by way of bank statements, sponsor / scholarship letters or educational loan evidence.

Please refer to the UK Visas and Immigration website for the their Tier 4 Policy Guidance (paragraphs 200-213) on acceptable evidence of funds.

*Please note: The University does not include information on accommodation fees owed or paid in the CAS which is prepared for your visa application. These fields automatically show £0.00.

The International Office therefore recommend that you keep the money for your living expenses in your bank account until after your visa application has been processed and only pay for your accommodation once your visa has been granted.  Damage deposits required to secure the accommodation must still be paid, but will not be included in the CAS.


Tuition fees

Evidence of tuition fee payments

The CAS checking document sent to you by email will include information on tuition fees (including compulsory deposits) you have paid. Please review the CAS checking document carefully and let us know immediately if there are any errors or omissions.

We recommend that you not make any additional payments once the CAS checking document has been issued. If you do make a payment, you will receive an email which confirms the change in your CAS. You should not make a visa application until you have received confirmation by email that your CAS has been updated with your payments.

Remember that if you have an official sponsor, you must include an original sponsorship letter when you make your visa application which confirms what portion of your University of Nottingham tuition fees your sponsor is paying.

Scholarships and funding

It is very difficult to find extra financial support after you've arrived in the UK. The University does not have scholarships available for students once they have started their courses. You must:

  • have written confirmation of a scholarship or bursary before you arrive
  • make sure you have enough money from other sources

Part-time work

It is not possible to rely on potential earnings from part-time work in the UK when applying for a student visa/entry clearance. You will not be able to fund your studies from your earnings but you can earn extra spending money.


International Office

C Floor, YANG Fujia Building
The University of Nottingham
Jubilee Campus, Wollaton Road
Nottingham, NG8 1BB, UK

telephone: +44 (0) 115 951 5247
fax: +44 (0) 115 951 5155
email us